- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk (or plain yogurt)
- 1 cup sourdough starter, unfed
Waffle or Pancake Batter:
- all of the overnight sponge
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- To make the overnight sponge, stir down your refrigerated starter, and remove 1 cup.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the 1 cup starter, flour, sugar, and buttermilk (or yogurt).
- Cover and let rest at room temperature overnight.
- In the morning, use a small bowl or mixing cup, beat together the eggs, and oil or butter. Add to the overnight sponge.
- Add the salt and baking soda, stirring to combine. The batter will bubble.
- Pour batter onto your preheated, greased waffle iron, and bake according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve waffles immediately, to ensure crispness. Or hold in a warm oven till ready to serve.
- Yield: 1 dozen 8″ waffles or about 2 dozen medium pancakes.
Recipe from King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook
Kitchen Journal Tip: Double or triple the recipe, then freeze uneaten waffles and toast on weekday mornings for a fast breakfast. 🍴